Come join us to bring in the month of September. We will be at Pikes Place Market on Sundays. So come see our fun new items and perfect gifts for the fast approaching season!
From FEMA website.
5 other excersises are : Ardent Century 16, Vigilant Guard, Special Focus, Turbo Challenge and Joint Logistics over the shore.
Cascadia Rising 2016
A 9.0 magnitude earthquake along the Cascadia Subduction Zone (CSZ) and the resulting tsunami is the most complex disaster scenario that emergency management and public safety officials in the Pacific Northwest could face. Cascadia Rising is an exercise to address that disaster.
June 7-10, 2016 Emergency Operations and Coordination Centers (EOC/ECCs) at all levels of government and the private sector will activate to conduct a simulated field response operation within their jurisdictions and with neighboring communities, state EOCs, FEMA, and major military commands.
Conducting successful life-saving and life-sustaining response operations in the aftermath of a Cascadia Subduction Zone disaster will hinge on the effective coordination and integration of governments at all levels – cities, counties, state agencies, federal officials, the military, tribal nations – as well as non-government organizations and the private sector. One of the primary goals of Cascadia Rising is to train and test this whole community approach to complex disaster operations together as a joint team.
Recent subduction zone earthquakes around the world underscore the catastrophic impacts we will face when the next CSZ earthquake and tsunami occurs in our region:
- Indonesia (2004): M9.1 — 228,000 fatalities
- Chile (2010): M8.8 — 500 fatalities
- Japan (2011): M9.0 — 18,000 fatalities
A worthy share. Article from web:
Much of the food found in America and Europe is imported from China because it is cheaper, but it comes at a cost. Recently, we posted an article about companies in China mass producing fake rice out of plastic, which can cause serious digestive issues, and even be fatal if consumed daily. See below is a list of ten foods made in China that we all should avoid!
1. Tilapia Fish 80% of tilapia in America comes from China. The fish are bottom feeders and will eat almost anything. With water pollution, the way it is in China, eating anything raised in that water would be unsafe to say the least. There is, also, one study that states tilapia is less healthy than bacon.
2. Cod Fish 50% of American cod comes from China. Yet again this is a water pollution and feeding issue. There are few restrictions in China for these types of exports.
3. Chinese Apple Juice About 50% of all apple juice sold in the US comes from China. China has been known to use harmful pesticides on their food. Even pesticides that have been banned by their own government. Making apple juice at home from local organic apples is the best method.
4. Processed Mushrooms 34% of all processed mushrooms come from China. Just as we saw with apples, one does not know what the mushrooms are grown in and exactly how healthy they are. Just to be on the safe side, buy mushrooms local or from trusted American-based or Canadian-based farms.
5. Chinese Garlic 31% of garlic sold in America comes from China. Like with other grown foods, the pesticides involved in the process (mainly methyl bromide) are just not safe and should be avoided
6. Chicken In 2013, the US Department of Agriculture approved the sale of chicken from China in the United States. As with fish (mentioned above) this is a pollution and feeding issue. China is commonly plagued with avian flu and other foodborne illnesses.
7. Plastic Rice Huge amounts of fake rice has been seized in China, and it is believed that much of it is produced from potatoes combined with a synthetic resin. The goal? To make money, of course, as scam artists have been imitating a popular type of Chinese rice called “Wuchang”. This rice stays hard after boiling. Long-term consumption of this food can cause cancer.
8. Mud (Sold As Black Pepper) One vendor in China was caught selling mud as black pepper. Although this seems like a local issue, one must always verify quality.
9. Industrial Salt Salt produced for industrial purposes is finding its way onto the tables of China. Any salt from China may also contain industrial salt. Consuming this salt may contribute to high blood pressure, hypertension, and the risk of heart attack and stroke.
10. Green Peas The fake peas are reported to be very profitable, and one illegal workshop was producing them for 3 years before it was investigated. They are created with snow peas and soy beans, added with green dye and sodium metabisulfite (used as bleach and preservative). This dye is forbidden to use on food because it may cause cancer, as well as affect the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell if your apple juice, garlic or mushrooms are from China. This is why we recommend shopping locally at your farmers market, and getting to know your farmer or supplier. … Read More: http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2016/03/avoid-these-10-foods-made-in-china-they-are-filled-with-plastic-pesticides-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
For those Long eared Loves in your life the smooth and sassy way to keep those Ears free of ……well……what’s for dinner is a dog snood! Been putting these little bad boys off (Snoods….not the boys!) for quite some time. Now I have this fun little collection for a few dog sizes. From Dachshunds to St. Bernards we have your fix. Only found at Pikes Place Market, these little charmers will have your canines searching for mirrors after each meal. Once they catch on that Snood wrapping means that…..dinner (or breakfast) is on the way, they LOOOOOOOOVE wearing them. They even get giddy!! No more ear funk for you. Super Hilarious.
Woof Bone Appétit!
One bag….bead at a time can start to make a big difference.
Picked this yummy cookbook up at the Library recently and wanted to give it a glorious review. I’ll be posting some of these wonderful recipes and picking up a copy of mine to keep soon as well. For you vegetarians out there this has a delicious spin on some old standards. And for you vegans, there are quite a few easy goodies. Meat eaters especially will enjoy this wonderful book by Rick Rodgers. Pickles, Pastas and Bears Oh my. It is literally filled to the brim (Over 450 recipes) with sides to make a normal meal go shazam. Just wanted to share and give Mr. Rodgers a glowing review. Thanks Mr. Rodgers for my new epic cook book.
Happy 4th of July and summertime to you all.
Just a simple reminder of how to stay safe in an unsafe refrigerator!
Nestlé products to boycott in the United States
These are Nestlé’s main brand names. Some of their products have different individual names but most of them fall under these brand categories. The company is constantly buying and selling brands, however, so when in doubt, simply check the product’s label. Often, the Nestlé logo will not appear, but usually the Nestlé name can be found in the fine print.
ADDITIONS – Nutrition Supplement
AFTER EIGHT – Dinner Mints
ALPO – Dog Food
ALPO DOG TREATS
ALPO MASTER’S CHOICE
BABY RUTH – Candy
BIT-O-HONEY – Candy
BUITONI – Pasta & Sauces
BUITONI REFRIGERATED PASTAS & SAUCES
BUTTERFINGER – Candy Bar
BUTTERFINGER BB’s – Candy
CARNATION BABY CEREAL
CARNATION COCO SUPREME
CARNATION EVAPORATED MILK
CARNATION FOLLOW-UP FORMULA
CARNATION GOOD START
CARNATION HOT COCOA
CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST
CHEF-MATE – Food Products
CHUNKY – Candy
CROSSE & BLACKWELL – Sauces, Soups, Jellies, Specialty Items
CRUCIAL – Nutrition Supplement
DAVID & SONS SUNFLOWER SEEDS
FRISKIES – Pet Food
FRISKIES CHEF’S BLEND
FRISKIES COME ‘N GET IT
FRISKIES FANCY FEAST
FRISKIES MASTER’S CHOICE
FRISKIES MIGHTY DOG
FRISKIES MIGHTY DOG SENIOR
FRISKIES PRIME STEAKS
FRISKIES PRIME STRIPS
FRISKIES SPECIAL DIET
GLYTROL – Nutrition Supplement
GOOBERS – Candy
LIBBY’S JUICE BLAST
LIBBY’S JUICY JUICE
LIBBY’S KERNS NECTARS – Hispanic
MAGGI – Bouillon Cubes, Soup Mixes, Seasonings
MIGHTY DOG – Canned Dog Food
NESCAFE – Instant Coffee
NESCAFE ICED COFFEE
NESCAFE MOUNTAIN BLEND
NESPRESSO – Instant Coffee
NESQUIK READY TO DRINK
NESTEA – Tea
NESTEA ICE TEASERS
NESTEA NUEVO TEA
NESTLE BUNCHA CRUNCH
NUTREN – Nutrition Supplement
OH HENRY – Candy Bar
ORTEGA – Taco Shells & Seasonings
ORTEGA SHELF STABLE
PEPTAMEN – Nutrition Supplement
PERUGINA – Chocolate
PERUGINA ORE LIETE
PETER’S BROKEN ORINOCO
PETER’S NO. 23
PETER’S RED GLO
PIXY STIX – Candy
POWERBAR – Nutrition & Protein Bars
PROBALANCE – Nutrition Supplement
QUE BUENO! – Mexican Food Products
RAISINETS – Candy
SNO-CAPS – Candy
STOUFFER’S – Frozen Entrees
STOUFFER’S FAMILY STYLE FAVORITES
STOUFFER’S FROZEN PIZZA
STOUFFER’S HEARTY PORTIONS
STOUFFER’S LEAN CUISINE
STOUFFER’S LEAN CUISINE AMERICAN FAVORITES
STOUFFER’S LEAN CUISINE CAFE CLASSICS
STOUFFER’S LEAN CUISINE HEARTY PORTIONS
STOUFFER’S LEAN SKILLET SENSATIONS
STOUFFER’S OVEN SENSATIONS
STOUFFER’S SKILLET SENSATIONS
TASTER’S CHOICE – Coffee
TOLL HOUSE – Baking Chocolate
TOLL HOUSE MORSELS
TOLL HOUSE REFRIGERATED COOKIE DOUGH
TRIO – Food Products
TURTLES – Candy
WILLY WONKA’S – Chocolate
WILLY WONKA’S CHEWY RUNTS
WILLY WONKA’S CHEWY SPREE
WILLY WONKA’S DWEEBS
WILLY WONKA’S GOBSTOPPERS
WILLY WONKA’S LAFFY TAFFY
WILLY WONKA’S NERDS
WILLY WONKA’S RUNTS
WILLY WONKA’S SHOCK TARTS
WILLY WONKA’S SPREE
WILLY WONKA’S SWEETARTS
WILLY WONKA’S TANGY TAFFY
For a more complete list of Nestle Products, and other information about the company, please visit:
Never before has a poem been written about me. My dear friend who passed recently wrote this for me years ago when he was writing his poetry books. It is with great sadness that he no longer walks the planet with us, but you can see what a delightful and charming person he was!! Rest in peace my sweet friend.